Barnsley and its small villages
Leave the Staveley site travel towards Barnsley take the A6192 south for 2 miles drop onto M1 north for 26 miles at exit 37 take the A628 for 3 miles arriving at Barnsley stop and visit.
In South Yorkshire located on the River Deame, a modern style City with a market. Reconstructed in the 1960s taking in all the major retail chains, Barnsley is surrounded by several small settlements forming the Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley. Its industrial heritage originates back in the coal mining and glass making era which included the formation of the traditional Brass Bands. The city retains some historical interests the Darfield Museum, Town hall and the Cawthorne Victorian Jubilee Museum but the best are in the surrounding villages.
Home to the Monks Bretton Priory originally a monastery of the Cluniea Order now an English Heritage Site and Scheduled Ancient Monument with its 1154 Priory Ruins.
Home to the 1586 stately home built of sandstone ashliar with graduated slate roofs. Known as Wortley Hall with formal gardens and grounds associated with Labour Movement and several Trade Unions.
Home to the Cannon Hall Museum Park and Gardens. The museum contains a collection of fine furniture, paintings, ceramics and glassware plus the Regimental Museum of the 13th/ 18th Royal Hussars and Light Dragoons. The acres of parkland features lakes, waterfalls, follies and vistas and the Georgian walled gardens with an impressive collection of pear trees and many plants located close to the Victorian pleasure grounds.
Home to Wentworth Castle, a grade I listed Country House from the 18th century architecture era set in an English landscaped gardens with a folly constructed for decoration now a ruins or two towers from the 1730 castle known as Stainborough Castle.
Home of the Elsecar Heritage Centre with various shops, galleries, exhibition halls and craft workshops originally a engineering workshop. Elsecar as its own vintage goods station called Rockingham Station containing the Elsecar Steam Railway with a selection of steam and diesel locomotives plus rolling stock. On the site there’s a Scheduled Ancient Monument 1712 atmosphere engine known as Newcomen Steam Engine used to pump water out of the mines at the rate of 600 gallons per minute. The Saverys version of this pump built in 1698 was known as the Miners Friend then developed by the inventor Watts.
Home of the famous Worsbrough Corn Mill and Farm Complex of 17th century buildings. In the complex are the water powered mill and a 19th century steam powered mill located in the Worsbrough Country Park situated on the River Dove.
Located on the River Dome having the ex historic finery forge and ironworks dating back to the 17th century now the Wortley Top Forge containing the Belly Helve Hammer. The hammer is water powered forging hammer The site as 3 waterwheels all active and a Marshall twin cylinder steam engine.
Home to the Scheduled Ancient Monument 1659 glassworks known as the Silkstone Pot House Hamlet containing the old mill complex and the pot kiln.
Home to the famous Grimesthorpe Colliery Band which got international fame in the film Brassed Off based on the struggles of pit closures. The brass band was founded in 1917 which was a leisure activity for the colliery workers having 28 players. The list is numerous of winning competitions the 1972 British Open, the 1992 National Bras Band Championship held at the Royal Albert Hall with a score of 99 out of 100 plus many more. There achievements also including being the first brass bands along with the Black Dyke Mills Band to perform at the Proms.