This route takes you into ex mining villages in the Derbyshire and Amber valley areas with some builds dating back to AD.
Take the B6014 southwest towards Huthwaite turning right onto the A38 then pick up B6019 into Pinxton on the eastern boundary of Derbyshire .
Places of interest The Church of St.Helens, built using the old material from the previous small castle in 1790, only the west end remains, in 1939 the rest was rebuilt. The Pinxton Wharf is worth visiting it’s the northern terminus of the Cromford canal with its well dredged pool full of fish and swans, just stroll around the perimeter path.
Continue on B6019 southwest at roundabout take 4th exit A38 then left into A61 into Swanwick a small village in Amber valley between Ripley and Alfreton. It is a lively place with lots to do, many shops and the home of the Thorntons confectionery factory. Other points of interest the one hundred and fifty years old St Andrews church and Swanwick hall, now a school.
Journey on, derby road B6179 into Ripley in Amber valley small market place with historic buildings housing various shops. A three day, once a year market was granted in 1251, today they have a travelling fair. The Butterley Midland Railway is just down the road a steam train station and museum , go back in time travel the train small fee, travel the three and half miles view the country side stop off at the Swanwick junction complex, view all the attractions a museum and large collection of steam and diesel locomotives.
Journey on head southeast B6179 pick up the Cromford road B6411 then B6374 into Heage situated between Ripley and Belper famous for its recently restored windmill the only working stone-towered, multi sailed windmill in England. Guided tours available weekends and bank holidays for a small fee. Climb the traditional open steps up the tower providing a scenic view in the Derbyshire countryside. In the visitors centre souvenirs and snacks.
Journey on go northwest B6374 turn left B6013 take sharp right A609 into Belper a town in Amber valley centered in the valley of the Derwent. Jedediah Strutt, Richard Arkwright’s partner, built a water-powered cotton mill in Belper in the late eighteenth-century. Belper became one of the first mill towns and in 1784 Strutt built the North Mill and across the road, the West Mill. In 1803 the North Mill (Strutt Mill) was burnt but later made fireproof. You can look around and it is well worth a visit after which you can stroll over the bridge to view the flowing Derwent. The town is a busy shopping area with many old buildings, special is the Nailers workshop and St Johns chapel.
Travel northwest A609 at roundabout take 3rd exit A6 then turn left A517 continue straight onto B5035 into Wirksworth. Dating back to Saxon times, it is the second largest town in Derbyshire famous for lead mining and stone quarrying. The market place is surrounded by historic buildings and a must view is the St Marys church dating back to AD653 with its early stone carvings, it is the finest building in Wirkworth. Also worth a visit is the old manor house an 1842 old lockup guest house.